Think of this chickpea recipe as a crunchier hummus: the chickpeas are mashed in a bowl, rather than pureed, and then mixed with chopped radishes. MAKES 3 CUPS
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed (reserve1/3 cup liquid)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 8 radishes, coarsley chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 to 3 lemons)
- 9 whole-wheat pitas, split, toasted or grilled, and cut into quarters
- Using a fork, lightly mash chickpeas, olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¾ teaspoon pepper in a bowl until creamy but still chunky.
- Stir in basil, radishes, garlic, and lemon juice; season with more salt and pepper, as desired. Stir in reserved chickpea liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dip holds together. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (or up to 3 days, adding basil just before serving). Serve with pita chips.
Per serving (¼ cup dip with 6 pita chips): 220 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 39 g carbohydrates, 9 g protein, 6 g fiber